September 18, 2011

My Daddy


JIMMY G. JOHNSON
Aug 4, 1940 - Sept. 7, 2011
My daddy passed away on September 7th after a short battle with cancer. Although it was only three months, watching a loved one grow weaker every day is so hard. Many of my friends and family have lost their fathers at an early age, but I don't think it really matters how old you are, the loss is enormous. My daddy had been ill for a while, but he always tried to protect me. One example is that he waited to tell me he wasn't feeling well because he didn't want to worry me while I was still in school. By the time they diagnosed his cancer, it had metastized. I am so thankful that he moved to Pascagoula before Katrina, because it gave us the opportunity to get closer and I was able to help him stay at home to live and die the way he wanted.
Thank you to my many friends and family who lifted me up during this time. There were lots of tears and lots of laughter. We made the best of a bad situation and I know that I could not have done it without your love and your prayers.
My daddy taught me many things throughout my life, but the lasting legacy I have received from him was how to accept the inevitable with grace.
I will always miss you and love you Daddy

No comments:

Post a Comment